New ORCID ID Requirements for Individual Fellowship and Career Development Awards

As of January 25, 2020, NIH requires all applicants for individual fellowship and career development awards (F05, F30, F31, F32, F33, F37, F38, F99/K00, FI2, K01, K02, K05, K07, K08, K18, K22, K23, K24, K25, K26, K38, K43, K76, K99/R00) to have an ORCID ID linked to the PD/PI’s eRA Commons personal profile. Please note that eRA system validations now check whether applicants have ORCID IDs, and applications will be returned if the ORCID ID is missing or unlinked. For instructions on how to link Commons profiles to ORCID IDs, please visit NIH’s website. To create an ID, please visit ORCID’s website. OSP will continue to provide updates as these new requirements take effect.

Concurrent vs. Complementary Effort on K-Awards

As you may know, most mentored K-award programs require PIs to commit a minimum of 9-person-months/75% effort directly to the award’s research and career development activities. The remaining 25% effort can be allocated to additional research, teaching, clinical work, or other efforts conducive to the awardee’s career development. How a K-recipient’s overall FTE effort is utilized and where funding for this effort is paid from depends on a number of factors: Is the activity related to career development award (CDA) research? Is the K-recipient in the final two years of the K-award? Has the individual received federal funding as either a PD/PI on a peer-reviewed research grant or cooperative agreement or as a project leader on a competing multi-project award? The term concurrent support is used by NIH to describe the process by which a mentored CDA recipient reduces his or her level of effort below the requirement for the CDA within the final two years of his or her support

read more Concurrent vs. Complementary Effort on K-Awards

K Award Deadline

Today is the deadline for new K submissions! Are you ready? A few quick tips: All mentored career development award applications must include a “Current and Pending Support” attachment for each mentor and co-mentor. This information is uploaded directly into the KP profile. “Candidate Information and Goals for Career Development” and “Research Strategy” are two separate attachments that cumulatively cannot exceed 12 pages. Any K24 or K05 proposals require inclusion of the mentoring plan—“Candidate’s Plan to Provide Mentoring.” For other questions or concerns, please contact OSP.    

The More You Know: Proposal Reference Letters

OSP reminds all applicants that certain types of programs, such as fellowships and some career development awards, require the submission of reference letters. It is expected that these reference letters be submitted concurrently with the completed application by the deadline. NIH allows between 3-5 reference letters per application. Selected individuals should not be directly involved with the application but should be familiar with the applicant’s qualifications, training, and interests. The referees’ names, departmental affiliations, and institutions should be listed in the cover letter. Letters should be submitted directly through eRA Commons. NIH has included step-by-step instructions for referees on its website. For questions, please contact your OSP specialist.

Salary Supplementation and Compensation on Research Career Development K-Awards

For those departments with K-awards, please make note of the recent NIH notice NOT-OD-17-094: “Clarification and Update: Salary Supplementation and Compensation on Research Career Development K Awards,” released July 24, 2017. This notice makes two significant changes to previous policies: Institutions can now supplement the recipient’s salary with either institutional or non-federal funds up to a level consistent with the institutional salary scale. Though this has been in practice previously, this notice simplifies earlier language and clarifies confusion. The new policy also modifies the prior approval process for those grantees receiving other sponsored funding not directly tied to the K-award—whether federal, non-federal, or institutional. K-award recipients traditionally devote 75% effort to their project. This change applies to how the 25% effort and associated salary not covered by the K-award can be funded. NIH previously required prior approval for additional federal sources not covered by the K-award; however, the new policy stipulates that, provided that the specific aims and effort on

read more Salary Supplementation and Compensation on Research Career Development K-Awards