Prime Organizations Without an ACUP or IACUC

User-submitted question:  What happens if a grant is awarded to a prime institution/organization, and the prime does not have its own Animal Care and Use Program (ACUP), facilities in which to house animals, or an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)? In rare instances, VUMC can/will serve as the OLAW office of record for an external party. The agreement process is part of an Interinstitutional Assurance. The Assurance is signed by the VUMC IACUC Office and approves an outside institution’s use of our IACUC to review and issue an IACUC approval for its animal research.  Please note, VUMC’s Interinstitutional Assurance is approved and signed by the IACUC Office Chairperson, as well as by VUMC’s Chief Operating Officer.  If you have questions or faculty inquiring, please direct communications to:

IACUC Protocols

All externally funded grant awards involving animal work must be reviewed properly by VUMC’s IACUC. This animal work must be linked to an investigator, protocol, and project (no umbrella protocols); however, work can be linked to an existing protocol using the congruency review process. VUMC’s Animal Care and Use Program outlines some common examples for when review and approval is or is not needed on their website: Examples that do not require IACUC review and approval and can be administratively reviewed by the Office of Animal Welfare Assurance (OAWA): Harvesting additional tissues during a terminal procedure Addition or deletion of personnel (not the PI) Deletion of a funding sources Examples that do require IACUC review and approval: PI change Addition of funding source (no new proposed procedures) Addition of a species Increase in animal numbers Addition of procedures Modification of current procedures or additional sampling These are not exhaustive lists. VUMC’s IACUC team must review and approve all work described in the

read more IACUC Protocols